Proper Teeth Brushing Techniques
Plus a 5th bonus remedy for good measure
You've been brushing your teeth for years now, but you may be surprised to find out that you're not doing it correctly. Proper brushing takes at least two minutes (twice a day), yet most adults don't even come close to brushing for that long. You can use your watch or smartphone as a timer to help achieve best results in addition to these effective teeth brushing techniques.
How to Brush Your Teeth
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle along the gum line.
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short (tooth-wide) strokes.
- Brush the outer surfaces, the inner surfaces and the chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- Clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth by tilting the brush vertically and making several up-and-down strokes.
- Brush your tongue to remove odor-causing bacteria to keep your breath fresh.
Remember that brushing your teeth is only part of a complete dental care routine. Make sure to follow these additional tips for optimal oral health:
- Floss twice a day
- Rinse after meals and snacks
- Eat a well-balanced diet
- Visit your dentist regularly for checkups and cleanings