You've been brushing your teeth for years now, but you may be surprised to find out that you're not doing it correctly. Proper brushing takes at least two minutes (twice a day), yet most adults don't even come close to brushing for that long. You can use your watch or smartphone as a timer to help achieve best results in addition to these effective teeth brushing techniques.
How to Brush Your Teeth
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle along the gum line.
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short (tooth-wide) strokes.
- Brush the outer surfaces, the inner surfaces and the chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- Clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth by tilting the brush vertically and making several up-and-down strokes.
- Brush your tongue to remove odor-causing bacteria to keep your breath fresh.
Remember that brushing your teeth is only part of a complete dental care routine. Make sure to follow these additional tips for optimal oral health:
- Floss twice a day
- Rinse after meals and snacks
- Eat a well-balanced diet
- Visit your dentist regularly for checkups and cleanings