Most of us think that any form of hand sanitizer is always a good thing. Did you know that some sanitizers could have you calling poison control?
Here's the scoop: In recent news, U.S. Food and Drug Association (FDA)warns against hand sanitizers that contain this toxic chemical:
This toxic substance is not intended to kill microorganisms like bacteria and viruses. Absorption through skin can result in blurred vision, permanent blindness, headaches, vomiting, nausea, seizures, comas, irreversible damage to the nervous system, or even death.
The FDA is warning consumers against using hand sanitizer products manufactured by Eskbiochem SA de CV in Mexico.
The following brands produced by Eskbiochem are as follows:
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
- Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)
The FDA discovered more than 80% methanol in their products, and little to no Ethyl alcohol like they claim to be formulated with.
As a result, the FDA is asking for Eskbiochem SA to recall their sanitizers, and users to dispose of them in
"appropriate hazardous waste containers."