by Dr. Pooneh Ramezani, DDS
NOTE: I totally believe in breastfeeding. This article is meant to help moms minimize the chance of their children experiencing cavities from breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding and cavities in your kid’s mouth:
Breastfeeding has many advantages that are great for your child’s wellbeing, however you need to be aware of the following regarding your child’s oral health while breastfeeding:
- Children’s teeth develop from the time they are born until they are 7-12 months old when the teeth make their way through the gums and appear in their mouth. Any residual sugar from milk needs to be avoided while the teeth are growing inside the gums. This means that you should never let the child fall asleep while breastfeeding
- If falling asleep is inevitable, then have a bottle ready with warm water and have them drink that to clean their mouth before they fall asleep
- Wet wipes (natural, with no chemicals or toxins) or a damp, soft cloth are great to clean their gums after they drink milk
Remember, just because you don’t see any teeth in their mouth doesn’t mean that their habits won’t affect their teeth growing in. Rampant caries (decay) is the number one problem with breastfeeding.
This means that before teeth appear in the oral cavity, they will have decay on them. Click here for more on: early childhood caries statistics
Infant tooth decay is a major issue and can be easily prevented. I suggest the following while breastfeeding your child to help prevent early childhood caries:
- Limit your child’s time while breastfeeding to as minimal as possible
- Make sure your child is awake during breastfeeding
- Have a bottle of water ready and every time your child is done, give him/her water to drink
- Make sure no sugary milk stays in their oral cavity. Remove all milk when you are done
We at Dr. Brite advocate breastfeeding whenever possible. It has proven benefits for both mother and baby. The focus of today’s article is solely to alert you to the oral care concern for your baby and what you should be aware of.
join the brite club!
Receive amazing blog posts written by the Doctors themselves! You will also receive deals of a lifetime, along with exclusive sales & offers, all for FREE!