by Dr. Pooneh Ramezani, DDS
As a dentist I get this question a lot. I went to University of the Pacific in San Francisco, CA which is one of the most prestigious dental schools in the U.S. and graduated over 20 years ago.
At that time, we were taught either "fluoride or nothing".
As I contemplated over this issue and when we started doing research on ingredients in oral care back in 2015, I realized how much I was misinformed on fluoride.
Fluoride is not a safe ingredient.
It is actually a neurotoxin and should be avoided at all costs. It also gets accumulated in the body like lead.
Now let’s talk about what about what I was taught and what many people still believe.
The word out there is that fluoride is the only mineral that helps with “enamel remineralization”, which is a fancy word for strengthening of the enamel to prevent cavities.
Here is why this doesn’t make sense according to recent studies and research:
- Pediatricians, including my own, suggest to give fluoride drops to take per mouth to kids at a very young age to help strengthen their teeth. This is absolutely not true. Systemic fluoride (fluoride that is ingested and goes in your body) doesn’t help with remineralization of the teeth whatsoever. I suggest you avoid giving your young children fluoride drops.
- Fluoride in the water: again, same thing. Drinking fluoridated water doesn’t help with cavities or strengthening your enamel. It could cause toxicity and other very serious health issues so it should be avoided.
- Fluoride in the toothpaste doesn’t do anything to prevent cavities. The amount of time you brush your teeth and the amount of fluoride in the toothpaste simply is not enough for the fluoride to penetrate the enamel and help with strengthening the enamel to prevent cavities.
Fluoride toothpaste is far more toxic than the benefits that it may provide for helping with cavity prevention.
It is very important to know that the mechanical removal of plaque is far more effective for cavity prevention and overall health of the mouth.
Always brush for at least 2 minutes, twice a day so you can have a clean, cavity-free mouth. Using a non-fluoridated toothpaste is essential to the health of an individual.
Any conventional toothpaste with fluoride has to have a disclosure on the tube saying: "If swallowed call the department of poison control."
This is proof that a toothpaste with toxic ingredients such as fluoride should be avoided since it’s not possible to avoid ingestion of this ingredient and kids normally have a toothpaste eating habit.
Does fluoride-free toothpaste work and is it safe to use?
Look for a toothpaste with these vegan, plant-based, powerful, non-toxic ingredients:
- Organic Coconut Oil: Very powerful antibacterial, antimicrobial ingredients.
- Aloe Vera: Very powerful antibacterial ingredient. Also help heal and hydrate mouth.
- Neem Oil: Super ingredient, powerful antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal ingredient.
- Non Acidic Vitamin C: Helps promote gum health and helps get rid of gingivitis and gum bleeding.
This will make the product LOW FOAMING but the benefits are way more than the bad side effects of sulfates in the mouth.
Foam or suds only create the illusion of clean. They should be avoided in daily oral care products.
join the brite club!
Receive amazing blog posts written by the Doctors themselves! You will also receive deals of a lifetime, along with exclusive sales & offers, all for FREE!