Tomorrow's the big day! You know, National Dog Day! Bake this simple, sweet potato dog treat recipe to show your pooch how much they mean to you!
- 2 cups rolled oats or quick oats
- 1/2 cup cooked sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 - 3 tablespoons water
PREP TIME: 5 MINS
COOK TIME: 25 MINS
MAKES: ABOUT 34 COOKIES
- Heat the oven to 350°F
- Add the oats to a food processor and process until they are a course flour like consistency.
- Add the cooked sweet potato and the coconut oil.
- Process until well combined.
- Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing in between each addition until the mixture can be squeezed into a dough with your fingers.
- Tip out and knead together a bit so it's all in a big firm ball.
- Roll out to about 3 - 4 mm thick on surface sprinkled with flour to keep the dough from sticking. If your dog is wheat intolerant be sure to use oat flour (just process a few more oats until they are flour). You can also roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper if you prefer.
- Cut out into cookie shapes using a cookie cutter or just cut the dough into even pieces with a knife or pizza cutter.
- Carefully transfer the cookies to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes. Keep an eye on them toward the end as they go from just right to slightly over done very quickly.
- Place on a cooling rack and store in an airtight container.
- These cookies keep well in an airtight container for a few weeks.
- These dog treats are dairy-free and wheat-free!