Serve this delicious (and healthy!) hummus recipe at your next summer celebration with vegetables like carrots and cucumbers or pita chips.
We love beetroot because it's high in vitamin C, fiber and packed with essential minerals like potassium that promote healthy nerve and muscle function. Even though this root vegetable is available all year long, they are at their best from June through October. So, take advantage of beet season with this quick and simple recipe that everyone in your family will enjoy!
- 1 cup cubed beetroot, peeled
- 1/2 cup chopped leek
- Filtered water (for cooking beets and leeks)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Black pepper & Celtic sea salt to taste
TOTAL TIME: 15 MINUTES
MAKES: 1 & 1/2 CUPS
- Place beets, leeks and water to cover in a saucepan fitted with a lid and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, covered, until beets are tender (this should take about 6-8 minutes).
- Drain and place in the food processor with remaining ingredients.
- Blend until smooth, scraping down the edges of the bowl a few times to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Season with pepper and salt, to taste.
Original recipe and image found here.