We’ve all experienced the unexpected aching and throbbing of gum pain at one time or another. So what do you do when you're short on time and in need of a fast fix? Here are four dentist-approved home remedies to alleviate gum pain and mouth irritations.
How To Get Rid of Gum Pain
- Warm and Cold Compresses. Soak a clean cloth in warm water and wring out the excess liquid. Hold the compress against your face over the affected area for five minutes (not directly to gums). The heat helps improve circulation and increases blood flow to the particular area. Next, wrap an ice pack (or a bag of frozen peas) in a thin towel and hold it against your face for a few minutes or until the area becomes slightly numb. The cold helps reduce pain along with inflammation and swelling. Repeat this cycle 2 or 3 more times for best results.
- Salt Water Rinse. Add ½ teaspoon of salt to a glass of lukewarm water and use it to thoroughly rinse your mouth twice daily until the pain or swelling subsides. (Do not swallow.) Salt naturally promotes rapid healing and effectively inhibits the growth of bacteria in the mouth to help prevent infections. Plus this rinse can remove particles of food that are stuck between your teeth!
- Turmeric Paste. Mix ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder with a little water to make a paste and apply to affected gums with a clean finger. Leave it on for 5 minutes, then massage lightly for 1 minute and rinse your mouth with warm water. Turmeric is a natural substance that contains curcumin, which has antioxidant properties that help reduce pain, swelling and gum inflammation. You can easily find it in your kitchen or local grocery store.
- Apply Tea Bags. Steep a tea bag in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Remove it and allow to cool before gently holding the tea bag on the affected area of your gums. Keep it there for five minutes. The tannic acid and anti-inflammatory benefits of tea quickly relieves gum irritation and discomfort. Directly applying a tea bag to your gums is much more effective than drinking tea, which can also stain your teeth.
Oral Pain Relief Spray
Mouth irritation and gum pain can be uncomfortable and even cause embarrassing bad breath. If you're looking for something that works quickly when you’re out and about or on-the-go, then try the Dr. Brite Soothe & Restore oral spray. The dentist-created formula immediately relieves oral pains with these all-natural, organic ingredients:
- Coconut Oil: contains lauric acid, which has proven antimicrobial effects and helps ease gum soreness.
- Aloe Vera: the anti-inflammatory agents prevent the growth of plaque-causing bacteria in the mouth and soothe irritated, red or swollen gums.
- Tea Tree Oil: a natural antiseptic that removes tartar buildup against the gums and freshens breath at the same time.
- Peppermint: the antibacterial benefits of mint help maintain oral health and keep your gums and teeth healthy.
- Clove Oil: eugenol (an ingredient within clove oil) is an anesthetic and disinfectant that reduces painful gum inflammation.
Additional Lifestyle Tips for Healthy Gums
- Brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes, floss and rinse after meals
- Avoid brushing too aggressively, as it may irritate your gums
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and replace it every three months
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to stimulate the production of saliva, which naturally helps kill bacteria
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet full of vitamins, calcium and high levels of folic acid
- Visit your dentist at least once every six months for a checkup
Need a Holistic Product to Help Your Gums?
The Dr. Brite Soothe & Restore Oral Spray is specifically formulated by our co-founders, veteran dentist Dr. Ramezani and cancer surgeon Dr. Sabo, to ensure a safe, natural, and affordable product is available for those who need help with their gums. Try it today and buy confidently with a 30-day money back guarantee. Get your very own bottle of Soothe & Restore to naturally help your gums.