We’ve been trained to associate foamy suds with a squeaky clean feeling, but did you know that these soapy suds can do damage to your skin?
This is because sodium lauryl sulfate, or SLS, is the irritating ingredient behind the lather.
Our team at Dr. Brite knows that you’re a smart shopper, but maybe you happen to be new to natural products and you want to know your SLS-free options.
In this article, the Dr. Brite team will quickly cover:
- The Dirty Truth About Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
- SLS-free Options for Your Home & Body Care
The Dirty Truth About Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
In short, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is a cheap detergent, or soap. It’s meant to help a product’s formula absorb into the skin better and to also work more effectively. Whether you’re washing your hair, body, brushing your teeth or even cleaning your home, that foamy lather you may be familiar with is attributed to SLS.
But why is SLS such a potential danger to my health? Well, SLS is a well-known skin irritant. Maybe you don’t notice it now, but SLS can actually accumulate in the body in the same way that fluoride does. Research has shown that increased SLS exposure over time can be linked to:
- Irritation of the skin and eyes
- Organ toxicity
- Developmental/reproductive toxicity
- Neurotoxicity, endocrine disruption, ecotoxicology, and biochemical or cellular changes
- Possible mutations and cancer (Mercola)
This may sound extremely scary and possibly shocking, but there is a way you can still have a clean self and home. Let’s explore the world of SLS-free products.
SLS-free Options for Your Home & Body Care
It’s important to note that not all SLS-free products are made with natural ingredients. More and more recently SLS-free labels have popped up on mainstream hair care and body care brands. Just because a product is free of sodium lauryl sulfate, doesn’t mean that it won’t be filled with other harsh, drying, and potentially dangerous chemicals.
This is where our team at Dr. Brite comes into play to help you make healthier shopping decisions. We’ll briefly cover a few of our favorite SLS-free products starting with Dr. Brite’s very own toothpastes and mouthwashes.
- Dr. Brite’s SLS-Free Toothpastes and Mouthwashes: When our doctor founders, Pooneh Ramezani DDS, and Paris Sabo, MD, set out to make a toothpaste they knew there was no room for compromise. That’s why you won’t find SLS or any harsh ingredients in Dr. Brite products. Instead, we use only the highest quality and holistic ingredients like organic coconut oil, organic aloe vera juice, activated charcoal, and vitamin C that are specifically chosen to work synergistically to help boost your oral health.
- Alaffia Body Care: Not only are Alaffia products SLS-free, they’re also fair-trade certified so you can shop knowing that workers are being paid fairly, are allowed equally job opportunities and work in safe conditions. Our favorite product is the Authentic African Black Soap in Peppermint for a tingly, fresh clean.
- EVOLh Hair Care: This SLS-free hair care line is also vegan and cruelty free and feels like a salon experience without the nasty ingredients. The SmartVolume Leave-In Conditioner is our personal favorite for silky hair.
- Truce Household Cleaners: Yes, even the cleaners you use at home can be damaging on your skin. We suggest switching out your conventional cleaners with products that will be more gentle on your skin.