Proper brushing and flossing on a daily basis will help keep your teeth clean and healthy. But if you feel like your smile could be brighter, you may want to consider a teeth whitening treatment. Here's what you need to know before getting started.
Teeth Whitening vs. Teeth Bleaching
The terms "whitening" and "bleaching" are often used interchangeably, but there's actually a difference between them.
According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) the term “whitening” is used to describe the process of restoring teeth to their natural color by removing stains and debris from the tooth’s surface.
Unlike whitening, "bleaching" agents (such as hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide) penetrate your tooth's enamel, which alter the tooth's color beyond its natural shade by affecting the dentin layer of your teeth.
Dr. Brite Antioxidant Pen vs. Dr. Brite Peroxide-Free Pen
- The antioxidant teeth whitening pen has a safe, food grade hydrogen peroxide in its bleaching solution. This gentle, but powerful gel can whiten teeth two shades in as little as two days.
- The peroxide-free teeth whitening pen is an alternative for those with sensitivity or an allergy to hydrogen peroxide. Instead, coconut oil helps whiten your teeth and your smile will be noticeably brighter in about a week.
- Brush and floss your teeth then dry them with a tissue
- Apply gel on the surface of each tooth with a firm pressure in a circular motion
- After application, keep your lips in a relaxed smile for about a two minutes
- The gel dissolves with your saliva, so there's no need to rinse
- Wash the silicone tip with lukewarm water and close cap after use to prevent the gel from drying out
- Repeat up to 3 times per day
How to Whiten Teeth More Naturally
- You'll want your teeth as dry as possible before you start applying the gel
- If you have a new pen, you may have to pump the applicator 20-30 times before it's ready for use
- 1-2 clicks for top teeth and 1-2 clicks for bottom teeth is the appropriate amount of gel
- Do not eat or drink anything for 30 minutes after treatment
- Use the peroxide-free pen between antioxidant pen applications (so, 2 times a day) for maintenance
- With our Ultimate Teeth Whitening Collection, you'll be sure to achieve your whitest, brightest smile yet!