Health trends come and go every day, giving you less time to consider the facts that determine their effectiveness.
Activated charcoal, for instance, created a buzz when it claimed an ability to whiten teeth. But, before you start brushing your teeth with pure activated charcoal powder, you should know about the unpleasant side effects of this DIY trend and its original use. In this post, the Dr. Brite team answers the FAQ’s about pure activated charcoal teeth whitening and its dangers.
Question 1: Is activated charcoal the charcoal I use in my barbeque?
No, activated charcoal is completely different from the type of charcoal you’re familiar with using at barbecues. Activated charcoal is created when a high-pressure gas is forced into charcoal granules, which creates pockets in the particules.
Question 2: What does activated charcoal do?
Activated charcoal is a substance that absorbs toxins thanks to the pockets in its particules. Traditionally, activated charcoal was used in hospitals to absorb the chemicals ingested in an accidental overdose or poisoning. Some people choose to ingest activated charcoal regularly because of its detoxifying properties without realizing two facts:
- The activated charcoal can also absorb necessary vitamins and nutrients (you’re losing the bad and the good)
- Your liver and kidneys already perform these detoxifying functions
Question 3: Is pure activated charcoal safe to use?
No, the potential risks outweigh the supposed benefits. A recent DIY trend had users replacing their toothpaste with crushed activated charcoal tablets.The problem is that pure activated charcoal powder is a harsh abrasive on its own, which meant users were unknowingly damaging their tooth enamel. Goodbye, smooth teeth!
Question 4: Does brushing with pure activated charcoal cause any dangerous side effects?
Along with damaging the enamel of your teeth, the pure activated charcoal powder will begin to stain your tongue black. Think about it: If you use activated charcoal powder as a toothpaste twice a day, the dark pigment will gradually build into your tongue. The effort you’re putting into whitening your teeth will be overshadowed by your newly tattooed tongue.
Question 5: I want the benefits without the DIY hassle. Are there activated charcoal toothpastes and where can I buy them?
Yes! Many companies include activated charcoal in the recipe of their toothpaste. But, “buyer beware” because not all formulas are created equal:
- Some activated charcoal toothpaste retains its dark color, causing the tongue staining previously discussed.
- Some of these charcoal toothpaste contain harmful chemicals like SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate), Fluoride, and Triclosan.
Our formula, stands apart for 2 reasons:
- Dr. Brite Activated Charcoal Teeth Whitening Toothpaste and Kids Toothpaste formulas contain natural activated charcoal made from coconuts that produce an off-white color. No stained tongues.
- We avoid using toxic or inflammatory substances--like carrageenan--to thicken our activated charcoal toothpaste.
Making a decision about activated charcoal toothpaste from an educated position can make the difference between wasting your time and getting results. We provide you with the factual information you need to steer clear of the ineffective trends.
Avoid the phone call to "poison control" and buy with confidence knowing our activated charcoal toothpaste does not include:
- Artificial Colors
- SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate)
Every product we offer stands as a testament to our commitment to safe use. Whether you’re interested in whitening products, mouthwash, or activated charcoal toothpaste, Dr. Brite is ready to become your favorite brand.
Oh, by the way, we’ve removed the fear of commitment with our 30-day money back guarantee on all purchases.
Our team at Dr. Brite hopes you benefited from the answers to these common questions about activated charcoal. If you’re interested in viewing one of our specially curated products, check out The Kids Collection or The Ultimate Care Collections that includes our EWG VERIFIED™ toothpaste and mouthwash.
We’re excited about engaging with our clients so if you have more questions, feel free to reach us directly at email@example.com.
Learn More About Natural Activated Charcoal
We've written a lot about Activated Charcoal (we're on a mission to educate!). Check out our other articles below:
- FAQ's: Whitening Teeth with Activated Charcoal
- The Oral Benefits of Activated Charcoal
- Learn About Activated Charcoal
- Detoxify Your Mouth with Activated Charcoal
- Activated Charcoal as a Holistic Teeth Whitener